University of Toronto, Faculty of Applied Science & Engineering

Current Engineering Undergraduates


Short link:

While the information below is considered informal and unofficial, you are encouraged to review it if you are unfamiliar with petitions. Official information can be found in the Academic Regulations chapter of the Academic Calendar. If you have any questions that are not addressed here, please contact the Office of the Registrar.

What is a petition?

A petition is your formal request for an exception to a Faculty or University rule, regulation or deadline. The University of Toronto acknowledges that students sometimes encounter unforeseen or uncontrollable circumstances that can severely interfere with their ability to fulfill their academic obligations.

Through the petition process, you may seek a resolution for the academic consequences that may have resulted from extenuating circumstances; however, you are expected to make every effort to complete term work and examinations. Petitions that arise from a failure to prioritize academic responsibilities or carelessness will not be granted.

Some examples of reasons you may consider submitting a petition:

  • severe personal illness
  • illness or death of a close family member
  • personal or family crisis
  • other extenuating circumstances
There are three types of petitions:

  • term work (e.g. tests, quizzes, assignments, labs)
  • final examinations (missed exams, issues that affected your ability to write the exam)
  • special consideration (conflict with Faculty or University rules and regulations)

Return to Top

Petition deadlines

Petition deadlines vary by type of petition:

Term work: The deadline to submit a term work petition and the accompanying supporting documentation is seven days after the missed or affected term work.

Final exam: The deadline to submit a petition and the accompanying documentation for a final exam is seven days after your final Engineering exam.

Special consideration:
There is no deadline for petitions for special consideration; however, you should submit a petition for special consideration in a timely manner.

Return to Top

Academic and personal advising

If you are having difficulty with a course, you are encouraged to speak with your professor or instructor; however, if your difficulties continue, or if they are out of the scope of what your professor can assist with, please consult with your academic advisor.

Additionally, you should not hesitate to speak with an advisor to obtain clarification on any rules or regulations in the Academic Calendar. An advisor can refer you to special services that may assist you with academic, personal or financial difficulties. Students in their first year of students should contact their first-year advisor; all other students should contact the academic advisor in their respective departments. Consultations with advisors are confidential. You're encouraged to contact your advisor at the first sign of a problem that could potentially affect your studies.

Return to Top

Types of petitions

          1. Term work

If you are unavoidably absent and miss term work (e.g. test, quiz, assignment, lab), discuss the matter with your instructor immediately. If necessary, submit a term work petition.

Effective Summer 2015, all term work petitions must be submitted through the online petition system, which is accessible through the Engineering Portal.

Term work petitions must be submitted within seven days of the term work in question and include valid documentation.

For additional information, please view the Term-Work Petition System Guide.
          2. Final examinations

Petitions that concern final examinations should be submitted within seven days of your last exam. Please note that deferred examinations and re-writes for courses in the Faculty of Applied Science and Engineering are not standard practice. If a petition is approved, the Committee on Examinations will likely assign an assessed mark based on closely supervised term work as compared to the closely supervised term work the rest of the class in relation to their final exam performance.

An exam petition cannot offer you exemption from writing an exam. If you have a legitimate exam conflict (see the Office of the Registrar for a definition) you may be offered an opportunity to write the exam. No exemptions will be given for personal or travel reasons.
Final exam petitions should be submitted through the Engineering Portal.

Decisions regarding petitions, once decided, will appear in the Engineering Portal.

           3. Special consideration 

You may petition for exemption from a specific Faculty regulation; however, you must provide sufficient reasoning why the regulation should be waived or altered. It is highly recommended you consult your undergraduate academic advisor before you submit a petition for special consideration.

Petitions for special consideration should be submitted through the Engineering Portal.

Decisions regarding petitions, once decided, will appear in the Engineering Portal.

Return to Top

Weighing the potential costs and benefits of submitting a petition

When making a decision about your final exams because of a medical or personal difficulty, consider the following:

  • how well you feel at the time of the exam
  • whether or not you can obtain official documentation that confirms your severe illness or circumstance
  • how prepared you feel at the end of the session versus attempting to retain the knowledge for a possible later exam date
It's important to remember that the petition process is intended to assist students who are experiencing a severe illness or set of circumstances. Minor illnesses, such as a cold, are not considered severe enough to require accommodation.

Return to Top

Petition and appeal documentation

            Official Supporting Documentation Requirements

If you are submitting a petition or an appeal, you must submit official supporting documentation to support your case. Official documentation is both a formal Faculty requirement and a necessary tool that assists the Faculty in making a decision. Your official supporting documentation must outline your situation and the dates you were affected. Strong documentation typically equals a stronger petition or appeal case.
         Types of Documentation

The supporting documentation you need to attach to your petition or appeal must be relevant to your situation. For example, if you were in a traffic accident, you should submit the police accident report; if someone in your family passed away, you must submit a copy of the death certificate or funeral notice.

The most common piece of supporting documentation that the Faculty receives is the U of T Verification of Student Illness or Injury Form (formerly the U of T Medical Certificate).

A doctor's note, which simply states that the "student cannot write" is insufficient. The Verification of Student Illness or Injury form asks specific questions the Faculty needs answered to gain a better understanding of the severity of your illness. If possible, please have your doctor complete the form at the time of your visit. A verification that indicates the doctor was told of your illness after the fact is typically insufficient.

Please note the successful submission of a completed U of T Verification of Student Illness or Injury Form does not necessarily mean the Committee on Examinations will provide an accommodation. The Committee takes the severity, duration and date of the illness into consideration when making a decision regarding a petition.

Return to Top

Potential petition outcomes

Term work
Accommodations for term work petitions vary. Decisions and accommodation plans are communicated to students through the Engineering Portal.

Final exam and special consideration
Deferred exams and re-writes for Engineering courses are not standard practice in the Faculty. If your petition is granted, the Committee on Examinations will likely select one of the following accommodations to calculate your final grade or standing.

     Aegrotat standing

Aegrotat standing (AEG) is granted based on a review of the student’s term work and reason for the petition. On approval of a student's petition, the Committee on Examinations aegrotat standing, which carries credit for the course, but is not considered for averaging purposes. Aegrotat standing is a substitute for assigning an assessed mark; it is considered when three or more final exams were missed or extraordinarily encumbered and the student was clearly passing the course.

     Assessed mark

If you did not write the exam, an assessed mark may be calculated according to a Faculty-approved formula. The formula considers your closely-supervised term work (mid-term exams, quizzes, etc.) and the class average on term work and the exam. If you wrote the exam under difficult circumstances, your exam mark will be factored into the final decision.

    Deferred exam

Deferred exams are standard accommodations for Arts & Science, UTM or UTSC exams. Deferred exams are not standard practice in U of T Engineering; however, in rare circumstances, a deferred exam may be assigned if a student was absent from an Engineering exam due to a severe and documented injury, illness or bereavement (Faculty Council Report #3287).

If you are granted a deferred exam, it will likely take place in February for fall exams or June for winter exams. You are expected to be available between 9:30 a.m. - 9:30 p.m. any weekday during the aforementioned months. Travel plans should be made to accommodate this schedule. Every effort will be made to give students three weeks' notice regarding the time and location of the exam.

   Retroactive withdrawal

A retroactive withdrawal (WDR) is a withdrawal from the session after the published deadline for withdrawals has passed. This remedy is considered very rarely and only granted when evidence is shown that the student was unable to drop their courses before the deadline because of severe impairments. Please note that when late withdrawal without academic penalty is granted, a permanent notation of "WDR" is placed on the academic record in lieu of a course grade. No changes can be made to the academic record after a degree is conferred.

While the Committee on Examinations is mindful of your requests for specific accommodation, the request is granted or denied on appropriateness of standard practice.

Return to Top


If your petition is denied, you have thirty days to submit an official appeal to the Faculty. Typically, an appeal will include additional information that was not submitted with the original petition.

Detailed information the appeal process can be found on the undergraduate website.

Return to Top

Frequently asked questions about petitions

What documentation do I need for a petition?

Any documentation that can verify the facts of your case. Medical documentation will only be accepted on the U of T Verification of Student Illness or Injury form (formerly the U of T Medical Certificate). If you are seeing a physician, please download and print the form for your doctor to complete. If you did not have your doctor complete the form on your original visit, please return and have the doctor complete it.

Other documentation may also be relevant depending on the situation. The more "professional" the individual providing the documentation, the stronger your case will be. Someone unrelated to you and bound by professional standards of ethics is in a better position to provide formal documentation than a relative or friend. If you have any questions about what might be useful, consult the Office of the Registrar.

Why can’t I appear in person to argue my own case?

The Faculty reviews hundreds of petitions a year. The Examinations Committee uses written materials to consider petitions in order to expedite the process and to create a record of activities. If the Academic Appeals Board requests a hearing for your appeal, you will be asked to appear to answer questions about your case.

How long does it take to get a decision?

Even with the large number of petition requests the Faculty receives each session, most are dealt with promptly. The simplest petitions, such as those for missed exams that are accompanied by appropriate documentation, are answered almost immediately. Others take a little longer, but the vast majority of petitions are answered in a very timely way. The Faculty makes a firm endeavor to deal with all petitions within 90 days of receiving the petition and all documentation from the student. If a response seems to be taking a long time, you can follow up with the Office of the Registrar.

Should I wait to view my final marks before submitting a Final Examination petition?

No. A stronger petition is submitted before viewing final marks as it shows evidence the petition is based on circumstances or impairments and not an undesired result.

How will I receive notice that my petition request has been decided?

Decisions for petitions for special consideration and final examinations will appear on the Engineering Portal. You will receive an email advising that a decision has been rendered. If you have difficulties navigating the Engineering Portal please visit the Office of the Registrar.

I've received a petition decision but I don't understand what it means. Who can help?

Petition decisions will state if an accommodation was offered. If you require additional information about your petition circumstances, please see your undergraduate academic advisor. For help understanding remedies and petition procedures, please see the Office of the Registrar.

Will the Examinations Committee "give me more marks?"

There is no approved accommodation that awards higher final marks. If the Examinations Committee grants an assessed mark, your final mark may change according to an assessed mark formula. All other final exam remedies involve non-grade symbols. While the Committee on Examinations invites you to state the desired outcome for your petition and  takes your request under consideration, it grants remedies based on appropriateness and standard practice.

I just received "official" final marks but I have a final exam petition pending. Does this mean my petition was denied?

No. Petitions are reviewed after marks become "official." Unless you receive a petition decision, consider your petition still under review.

Return to Top

Office of the Registrar

Faculty of Applied Science & Engineering
35 St. George Street, Toronto, ON M5S 1A4 Canada

Click here for full contact information.

Office of the Registrar
Student Life